Okay, so it’s been over a week since I made the post that I was officially done with alcohol. And so far, it is the best decision I could have made. Before I continue, let me briefly state that I do not advocate giving up alcohol like I have. I’m simply describing my experience with going out completely sober and the many advantages as a result. What you do with your drinking is entirely your choice. What I do want to do, however, is to dispel the notion that you need alcohol to have a good time. You don’t.
I used to believe that I needed alcohol in order to get over my fear of approach. This, however, is simply not true. Yes, alcohol loosens your inhibitions (it’s not called “liquid courage” for no reason), but alcohol is better at telling you to hook up with the girl you’re not attracted to rather than telling you to approach the girl you are attracted to. And it is the latter that we strive for here.
What does matter is your current frame of mind. There have been times where I’m drunk off my ass, but my frame of mind is completely shut down. Alcohol does not help there. It makes it worse. You start thinking too much and get depressed. That’s what we former Forever Alones do. We think way too much. Alcohol is a depressant. For some people it works wonders, but for Forever Alones, it just makes us sit and think. This is counter-productive.
However, when my state of mind is one of high energy, confidence, and excitement, I can approach anyone without approach anxiety. I used to think I needed alcohol to get into this frame of mind, but I don’t. In this last week, I’ve had way more fun being sober than drinking. I can get into a great state completely independent of alcohol. When I realized this, it was like, a great moment of clarity.
Here are also some more advantages of going water-only.
- Drinks are free (I’ll tip a buck here and there though)
- Saving hundreds of dollars a month
- No need to wait forever at the bar to close out a tab
- Don’t get tired too early in the night. Maintain higher energy levels deep into the night.
- Staying hydrated. No hangover next morning.
- Will never vomit.
- Interesting conversation piece. People want to know why you are giving up alcohol.
- It’s not healthy. I’m staying in shape and dieting. Alcohol does not help at all.
- You demonstrate that you don’t need alcohol to have a good time. You are so awesome that you can amuse yourself without an ‘aid’. Girls will think to themselves, “Who is this guy who doesn’t need alcohol to have a good time?” They’ll give you shit for it, but on the inside, they’ll respect it actually. (strong inner game here)
- I found it’s a good opener. Go up to a girl and tell her to buy you a glass of ice water.
I don’t think I could have done this a couple months ago. I still had the deeply held belief that I needed to drink to “fit in” and “get loose”. But my inner game has been improving steadily and I don’t feel that way anymore. Again, this isn’t for everyone, but I felt it important to share this perspective. 2 weeks of no alcohol so far. We’ll see how long I can keep this up.