This is the final post for the 2012 Summer Workout Session. And what a summer it has been. To summarize, I began on June 1st and did cardio for about two weeks. On June 15th I read a book called Muscle Chow and educated myself on proper diet for muscle gain. The book includes over 150 recipies–many of which I now use in my daily diet. I stopped drinking alcohol and junk food and now my diet consists mainly of high protein, low carbs. This was perhaps the greatest lifestyle change I’ve ever made, and I couldn’t be happier.
All the while I began doing the Stronglifts 5×5 routine and read Arnold’s book titled The Education of a Body Builder to teach myself all about lifting and what it takes to be mentally tough enough to challenge yourself. I feel as healthy as ever, which is evident from my 3 month progress report with photos taken 2 weeks ago.
The summer is coming to an end, and I’ve been saying repeatedly that when this day comes, I will move on to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 4-day workout routine outlined in the Education of a Body Builder.
Today was day 1. And I am sore as fuck. It’s actually a Monday-Thursday / Tuesday-Friday routine but I decided to just do the first workout today as a test run. The workout has a lot more exercises that work muscles that Stronglifts 5×5 just doesn’t take into account (and that’s to be expected since Stronglifts 5×5 is a starter routine).
This is the Monday-Thursday routine that I just completed.
- Squats: 5 sets of 8 reps. Start at 120 lbs and add 20 lbs each set. Wasn’t bad because I’m so used to squats from Stronglifts 5×5
- Leg Extensions: 5 sets of 12 reps. Start at 30 lbs and increase each 10 lbs each set. Super painful.
- Wrist Curls: 5 sets of 15 reps. 30 lbs. (this was painful as fuck. My forearms are so sore, but the veins are bulging)
- Bench Press: 5 sets of 8 reps. Start at 75 and add 10 lbs each set.
- Situps on incline bench: 200 reps (I only completed 50 before failing)
- Leg curls: My gym doesn’t have a leg curls machine. Not sure what to do about this.
- Dumbell flies: 5 sets of 10 reps: 25 lbs was really challenging for me. Had to decrease to 20 lbs.
- Calf raises on machine: Gym doesn’t have a calf raise machine. Need to figure something out.
- Leg raises: I was fucking dead by this point and pussied out.
So yeah, I couldn’t even do / complete all the exercises cause I was spent or the gym didn’t have the machine. I’m super sore and in a lot of pain but at the same time I feel great. I know I gained some serious strength and am looking forward to Monday when I do this again.
Summer 2012 – you will be remembered.